The Ferry Sarfaq Ittuk. – Day 1

Sarfaq Ittuk approaching Narsaq

So at 8:30 p.m., about fourteen of us set off for the landing where the Sarfaq Ittuk ferry was going to be docking so we could board for our trip north along the Greenlandic coast.  The trip was going to take four day and take me to the capital of Greenland, Nuuk (pronounced Nuke), and then finally to Ilulissat, where I was spending 5 ½ days before flying back to Iceland and then home.

As we walked down to the dock in the daylight (not much of sunset here), we could see the ferry approaching in the distance.  Now the ferry is a local ferry and not any thing close to a cruise ship.  The ship only hold just over 200 people and locals use the ferry to travel from town to town along the western coast of Greenland so after the ship docked, dozens of locals got off the ship and were greeted by loved ones.

The ferry Sarfaq Ittuk

After the offloading, we finally boarded the ship around 9:15 p.m. were given room keys and then it was off to settle in.  Now the ship had two types of accommodations: private cabins and bunk bed style rooms with curtains separating each bed.  Not my cup of tea so I had booked a private cabin.  My cabin turned out to be at the end of the hall on the 4th deck (the top cabin deck, although there were two outside deck areas that were higher on the ship) and closest to the bridge where the captain was running the show.  It was perfect room away from noise of the cafeteria and the stairwells.

And the cabin far exceeded my expectations.  The room could actually accommodate 4 people (1 set of bunk beds, a couch that folds out into a bed and a second elevated bed and included a window into the world and a nice little bathroom with a shower.

So after I settled in, I took a quick turn around the ship to get my bearings, took some pictures as we were leaving Narsaq, spotted in the far distance the by now famous iceberg that had fascinated us the previous night and then finally called it a day.

Landing boat
Scenery heading north
Large iceberg heading north
On the deck of the Sarfaq Ittuk

I was awaked at 6:45 a.m. by the announcement that we had arrived in Arsuk, a quick 15 minute stop that required one of the landing boats on the ferry to be lowered into the water to take guests ashore and to pick up new guests.  By 7:00 a.m., we were on our way again heading north to Paamiuk.

For the next few hours, I went outside periodically to watch the icebergs floating around us and the various little islands we passed all the while looking for any signs of wildlife or mammals … Unfortunately, nothing, although the scenery was spectacular.

We reached Paamiuk at 1:00 p.m. under gray skies and joined a Norweigian cruise anchored well offshore.  Since we were only going to be docked for 30 minutes, I did not get off the ship  and thankfully so as the line for the passengers heading back to the cruise ship was massive.  I wanted no part of that group.  I did, however, manage to take a few pics of the cute little town with its colourful houses and very unique church.  That was good enough for me.

Once we raised anchor, I joined Steve, Chewey and Paulina for dinner and then hung out until we approached the final stop of the day, Qeqertarsuatsiaat, at 10:15 p.m.  I went outside to the upper deck to take pictures and it was blowing really hard and spitting rain.  It was damn cold, but I opted to stay outside until the 10:30 p.m. departure, then went back inside to my cabin to make a cup of tea and warm up.  Gesh.  Summer in Greenland!!

Author: lawyerchick92

I am a lawyer by trade, but long to be a full time traveller. My life changed for the better when my brother donated a kidney to me on October 14, 2002.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: